Saturday, December 29, 2007

The metaphor of life

Peaks and valleys, ebbs and flows, challenges, joys, hardships and successes. It is life and it is training. Perhaps the best metaphor for training is life itself, and that is why I apply the lessons I learn in my life to my training.

Each year I come up with a word that will help guide me in my life and in my training. One word. One simple word that can encompass so much. And this year I challenge you to come up with a single word to help to guide you in your life and your training. Put that word on a post-it note. Write the word in your planner. Look it up in the dictionary and define it. Live it.

I challenge you to find a word that will inspire you. A word that you can remember when those 1/2 mile repeats seem to be just too hard, or when life gets so busy that you forget to live. A simple word that will become your life-philosophy.

Here are a few ideas to get you started:

Go
Accomplish
Peace
Risk
Joy
Believe
Embrace
Be
Accept
Dream
Reinvent
Change
Balance
Commit
Trust
Happiness


I want to hear your ideas! Please do share by replying to this post.

10 comments:

margo said...

endure.

Melissa said...

my word last year was "badass". every time i was struggling i told myself to be a badass. hmm i will have to think of this year's word.

tri-ing races not cases said...

power

TriGirl 40 said...

Nice idea. OK, even though it is already listed, my word for the year will be "Believe."

Jonah Holland said...

TRUST will have to be mine. TRUST that I can and I will.
p.s. I love all you've done to the blog. looks great! XOXO

Melissa said...

ok i picked two words. Balance and Push. I know I need to work on the Balances of life. I also want to Push myself to all I can.

TriGirl Kate O said...

With memories of Patriot, my word is...persevere.

Kate said...

My word is commit.

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

Control
Yes I know very Type A of me.

TriGirlDebbieJo said...

Mine will be JOY and PEACE. How JOYous to be able to swim bike run. When the children get noisy and the home becomes chaotic...PEACE.

Grandison - I really liked what you said yesterday about living in the moment and enjoying the "right now".